Friday, March 20, 2009

I moved to a new apartment (single bedroom) at the beginning of this month owing to room mates moving out and some other reasons. I began to update the change of address in the SSN records, Driver's license, local post office, bank account, vehicle loan, insurance, internet etc., And when it came to updating my address in the Driver's license, i've hit a dead end now. Usually, i would be able to change the address online, but this time i couldn't. The website refused to process my change of address request and asked me to goto the license office to get it done. Another friend of mine too had a similar problem and he told me that this was because of the number of months left on the visa being less than 12, he said he could get it when he went to the office with this passport. So i took my passport and went to the license office to get it done.

To my disappointment, they sent me back saying i need to have a proof of employment provided by my employer, as well. It took more than 10 days to get it and when i went to the office this time, they seemed to be ok with changing my address (with the proof of employment) and did it. In the process the top portion of my license with the old address, was cut off, to make it invalid and i was given a temp permit. I was told i'll get the license with the new address in 3-4 weeks. I left the room and was waiting in the hallway for my friend, when i received a call. It was the lady at the license office that said she missed to note something on my visa and asked me if i could come back.
I obliged and when she looked at the I94( which has the entry date and how long you could stay in the US),  she said its not been issued for a year and hence the address change on the license can't be done because of that.
Oh, brilliant !! And she reversed the request (cancelled it). Now I can't change the address on my license until i get the I94 renewed atleast for ayear. Its mandatory that i update the address on my license and i've just started with the process of extending my I94. It'll take nothing less than 3 months and could be more, in the worst case, to extend the I94. 
Atleast i later came to know that i'll get the license in mail, with the old address(It was torn off, if u've not forgotten). 
                      I'm really pissed off with this kind of rules and people who have to implement them.
I know that my friend too had the same I94 with less than a year on it and he got the license, but i didn't. To top it off, my three visits to the license office have gone waste. Time and effort made insignificant. Couldn't they have clearly specified rules on a website or a common forum ? 

Just wanted to take my rant out and i did.

Ta

No comments: