Thursday, July 24, 2008

Once upon a time, when i drove a car.......

A friend of mine read my post on my passion for driving. We caught up with each other in a chat online and he reminded me of an embarassing experience. This post is the result of that. Though i had forgotten about this incident, he apparently didn't seem to have. You'll know why, when you are done reading this post.

My office was in perungudi at that time and it was a make-shift arrangement before we permanently would move to a new building further down the old mahabalipuram road.My driving was still in its nascence and I wasn't quite comfortable yet driving a car at that time, though i was looking forward to every chance that i could bargain. This is one of them.One of my colleagues(lets call him Mr M) drove to office everyday in his santro and i asked him if i could drive his car once. Refusing at first, unable to put up with my persistent nagging he gave in. Conditionally.
Mr M agreed to let me drive, with him besides me and certain conditions.....i should drive slow and not try anything silly on the road....and blah blah blah blah....... The industrial estate roads around the office were a perfect fit for 'child' drivers like me, with not much traffic on it. I started driving the car with a lot of pride and care (very slowly), like an astronaut driving a shuttle to the Mars. The car rolled on pretty smoothly and i was getting comfortable with it. After a couple of lefts and rights we hit a dead end. The road wasn't wide enough to make a turn around, so M asked me to back up so that we can turn left and then return back to office(he must have had enough of baby-sitting my driving). Now reversing a car isn't my cup of tea, but i put the car in reverse (gear) and very reluctantly stepped on the pedal, looking behind. The car started moving back and as i was beginning to think if i have backed up too much, THUD -- there was a sound as if to say 'Yes' !! and one side of the car was buried into the road. There was a ditch on the side of the road and one of the rear wheels went into the ditch causing the car to precariously hang in balance on the side (Driver's side !!) .
Mr M was so mad at me for driving the car into a ditch and was shouting at me to get off the car. He tried to drive it back up from the ditch, but the engine power wasn't enough to bring the wheel of the car out of the ditch. We tried to push the car out from the ditch, but failed miserably. Eventually we had to seek the help of a passer-by to move the car and the wheel out of the ditch. With the assistance of me and the passer by pushing the car from behind, M was at the steering wheel giving all the throttle. After a few frantic moments, the car climbed out of the ditch, much to our relief. M vowed to never ever let me drive his car again. Though there was no public embarrasment as there was no one else on the road, in an effort to prevent any damage to my reputation, i begged M to keep this from everyone at office. Somehow he agreed.

To this day this has remained a secret. It has seen the daylight now, thanks to this post and my friend's reminder. He'll be a happy soul now, laughing at the dent on my image, whatever little i have.

Ta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every dog has its day. Mr M had his day and his image was dented from left, right and center by non other than his own little brother. Sad part of the story was Mr M's little brother learnt walking by holding Mr M's hand.